I’m sure when you think about your roof, fun is not the first thing that comes to your mind. But at Premo Roofing, we think of roofing all the time. That’s why we assembled a list of interesting and little-known facts about roofing.
- Some of the oldest roofing materials in the world are thatch, clay, and stone. Thatch was likely used between 5000 and 1800 B.C. Thatched roofs are effective because the reed used is naturally waterproof, and is bundled so tightly that it simply sheds water, sleet and snow.
- Flat roofs are not flat. Don’t be fooled by the name. Flat roofs are not entirely flat. They actually have a slope of at least ¼ inch per foot.
- Metal roofing materials are often lighter in weight than wood shingles. And metal roofs are not more prone to lightning strikes than other roofs. Lightning is equally drawn to other materials, not just metals. In fact, metal roofs can protect your home from lightning because they are noncombustible.
- Roofs breath. As funny as this sounds, a roof needs air. Roof ventilation, which is the flow of air on the underside of a roof deck, is one of the most critical aspects of the whole roofing system. Ventilation allows warm, moist air to escape and cooler, drier air to come into the attic. Without ventilation, condensation is going to build up in your attic, which can damage walls, wood, and insulation.
- Did you know that asphalt shingles are a newer product (invented circa 1900)? And they are by far the most popular roofing product in the U.S. 75% of homes in the U.S. have asphalt shingles.
- A roof can be good for the environment. Environmentally friendly or “cool roofs” reflect infrared and ultraviolet rays from the sun away from the building and have a higher ability to efficiently emit radiation. According to the EPA, cool roofs not only help homeowners conserve energy, but they reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- A leak can come out twenty feet away from the original leak in a roof.
- Professional roof cleaning companies do exist. It’s a fact that it’s important to keep your roof clean and clear of moss, algae, and fungus. But did you know there are professionals who specialize in keeping roofs clean? They have special techniques and products to do it, including equipment that doesn’t harm shingles and biodegradable cleaning solutions that are less harmful to plants and the environment.
- Do you think your roof will last forever? Almost, but not quite. The typical lifespan of a roof really depends on the materials and installation. A simple shingle roof may be warranted for 20 to 25 years. Shake style shingles can be warranted for up to 50 years.
Need a new roof? Contact Premo Roofing Company by calling 831-443-3605 or contact the team online to schedule a free, in-home consultation or find answers to any home roofing questions. Remember, You Deserve….A Premo Roofing Experience!